Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Happy Easter and Happy April Fool's Day

I hope you all did something for April Fool's Day!!! We almost did something...but chickened out. Last night at like 1 am (we couldnt sleep), Hermana Garcia thought it'd be funny to have me call our Elders (DLs) and tell them that I went to the bathroom and when I came back out Hermana Garcia was gone. Man they wouldve freaked out! But we decided not to do it cuz they were probably asleep. Haha lame. I know. But if you guys did anything cool, lemme know! I looove hearing prank stories. :)
I also just heard that BYU was ranked #1 in "Colleges Where Students are Hot and Smart" http://www.businessinsider.com/colleges-where-students-are-hot-and-smart-2013-3?op=1
So that was pretty awesome to hear about! Of course I think it's true. I thought I was an overachiever until I went to BYU! And yeah, everyone is really attractive! And more than anything, everyone is friendly and ready to accept you, no matter what. So true! They're all for it. I miss BYU! Can't wait to get back! BUT Im having the TIME OF MY LIFE here in Chile! And this is seriously going to be the greatest year/years of my life! 

Happy Easter! Wish I could've gotten the usual Easter basket with beef jerky and lip gloss :) But it's ok cuz I'm on a mission, and that's more awesome than anything. haha. The people here didn't really talk about Easter much! It's definitely a bigger deal in the U.S.  Here in Chile they just have Semana Santa, and it's super crazy and all the other religions besides Mormons have weird cult-like gatherings in the plaza that freak me out... Lots of creepy singing and huge signs and gigantic statues of Christ on the cross. Friday or Saturday night, when most of it was going on, we stopped at a shop nearby to get some Churrasco and fries, then booked it home!  But Sunday was good because we just had regular Sacrament meeting, but the topics were centered more on Christ and his Resurrection. It was beautiful.

Ah let's see! What happened this week...we have a new investigator! Named Alex, and he's in a wheelchair. Super sad story, his nephew died and then a month later his wife died, and then a while later his cousin died, and then a couple weeks later he got in the accident where he lost his leg. So we listened to it all and told him we wanted to help him. I shared part of Romans 8 with him, and I didnt know it at the time, but Hermana Garcia told me later that while I was reading, he had tears in his eyes. He knows that God loves him and that everything will be alright. I just can't wait for him to find out that he can live with his family for eternity in the next life! He will be so excited. I hope so anyway, who wouldn't be! 

We had a dog follow us all across town. A cute little white dog that was afraid of all the other dogs. Every time we would pass one, she'd hide behind our legs. And she really did stay right by our side from one side of Retiro to the other. We named her Vanilla. lol. Yes yes it was my idea. Hermana Garcia thinks that every time I name an animal, it leaves. There was another dog near the little tienda down the street that was always there! I named him Taco and he was adorable. But then the next day he wasn't there. And I haven't seen him since! Sooo apparently I shouldn't name the animals haha.

Ive enjoyed walking around Retiro and El Sol, which is my sector. This place is just adorable. The streets are empty a lot, but when there are people, they are sweet and happy and always smile and talk to us! But most of the time we walk about, looking for contacts and heading toward appointments. It's always so calm and beautiful and sunny, and the houses are painted such bright colors! Whenever we get the chance, I always choose to walk home instead of taking a colectivo. One night this week we walked home, and it was warm and breezy and there was a full moon! So gorgeous. Of course we dont get to walk home every night, cuz repetitive paths might get dangerous. 

It is definitely getting colder here! Yesterday, Easter, was freezing! The sun didn't come out all day and the humidity was crazy. My hair was loco! 

I've been getting frustrated with the Spanish. I've been here 5 weeks and a lot of times I still don't understand! It has gotten a lot better, but when I'm tired, it's just so hard to focus on every single word and syllable that they say. Sometimes during Sunday School or Relief Society, I just take out my scriptures and start reading. But honestly it has gotten a lot better. IT used to be that when I heard Spanish on the streets or on TV in America, I just heard a jumble of consonants and stuff. But now it actually sounds like a language. Now I can get the gist of what people are saying! But during lessons or contacts when I don't understand, I just smile and agree with what my comp says. And share my testimony when I get the chance! If there's nothing else I can do, I can always do that.

Transfers are next week! I am soooo scared! We find out on Saturday if we are leaving or staying or training or whatever. I have heard that us newbies might have to train! Which scares me to death because I haven't even been fully trained yet! I really really really hope that I get another transfer of being trained. Otherwise things will get a LOT tougher. But whatever happens I know  I will be fine, and everything happens for a reason! 

Well, I'm still addicted to Chocapic and Sahne Nuss, and I am definitely enjoying the Churrasco and Chorrillana! Family, I hope one day we will all get to come back to Chile :) Dont worry, by that time I'll be able to translate for you guys. :)

We had New Beginnings in our ward, and it was adorable! There are only 3 young women...but they are such awesome girls! And the meeting was really cute too, PLUS there was a chocolate fountain with strawberries, and a cake. :) Yesss. 

Oh! I ate horse meat again! One time with the bishop's daughter, and it was really good....  And then another time with some lady from the ward... and it was dis.gust.ing. lol Ugh I dont wanna think about it. 

Rafael came to church! Hes 82, and he was all decked out in his sky blue suit... How adorable. But something sad happened with Carolina, one of our investigators. Her son is a member (Raxy) and is suuuper loyal to the church. So we taught her during Sunday School and she was so ready for baptism and so excited! And she wanted to be baptized by her son, and she wants her daughter Patsy to be baptized too! So it was just awesome. Then we called her later on Sunday to finalize the plans, and she said something had happened at home and she said that the decision had been made that she and her kids aren't going to have anything more to do with the church. We were sooo sad. She didnt want to talk about it anymore but said she would see us later. So we are pretty sure that it was her husband's doing. He often comes home drunk and we are guessing that today was one of those days. Hopefully it will get better. Raxy is an incredible example for his family.

Today was a really awesome day! It was PDay and we had Pizza Hut with our District! All 6 of us went and ate pizza near the mall, and spent a long time there just talking and hanging out. It was so fun! Then me and Hermana Garcia and the DLs (Umbach and Araya) went shopping in that Portal. They bought shoes and we all bought food and everything. They are going to have a birthday party for me and Elder Gremlich! We both have our birthday on April 28th, and they wanted to do something for us before the transfer. Hermana Garcia is going to make Tres Leches cake and Elder Umbach is going to make cheesecake with oreos! Sooo itll be awesome. 

I love my district! Especially my comp and my DLs! They are soo awesome and so fun to be around. We have a lot of fun together. And Umbach's from Canada so we get to speak English to each other! HAllelujah! lol

Well, until next week everyone! We shall see what's in store for the next transfer! I love you all TANTO and hope you all have a fantastic week! 
Les queiro!
Hermana Amy Schrader

No comments:

Post a Comment